Monday, November 10, 2008

French Framed Collage Heirloom

I have started making my Christmas presents for loved ones a bit late this year. Normally I start thinking about this around the first of September but with so much going on with the kids and family activities I have been running behind. I thought it would be fun to share with you this French Framed Collage Heirloom that I have put together. It has been so much fun making it. If you are anything like me you have bits and pieces of gathered treasures lying all around your home. Putting them together in a curio or frame as I have done gives them a special feel and really showcases them in a fun way to display.

I made both a framed collage as well as a shadow box curio. Using things that have special meaning to me really personalizes this gift, and will make it special for the person receiving it.

I chose to go with a gold, silver, cream, brown and black color scheme. Picking your colors and sticking within that palatte really makes this pop!

From old star fish found in Hawaii, to gorgeous Italian carved wood frames, I just gathered together all of the things I love. I have been gathering pieces for this for the past 6 months. If you are planning on making one just keep that in mind while you are out shopping flea markets or antique shops. You can collect things that are special to you. I plan to continue adding pieces to my collage as special things come into my life.

Old religious relics are always fun to use on a project like this. I love the patina and aged feel they add. Anything that has special meaning to you can be used. I love crowns, so adding the crown drawer pull added to the dimension and also helped to personalize this.

I found this old carved wood gilt frame at a thrift store for 10.00. It makes the perfect frame for this beautiful collage. I cut out a wood board and covered it with a batting and fabric. Going with a neutral color on your fabric is important so your piece doesn't get to busy. You could even use an old flower sack or burlap. This is a very inexpensive project, but the end result is priceless!

I gathered several of my very favorite photos from the past. This is such a fun way to pull those photos out of old memory books and put them to good use.